Thursday, December 31, 2009

Number 360 - Joe Cocker


Number 360

Joe Cocker

"You Are So Beautiful"

(1974)
.
.
................Genre: Soft Rock...............
My God what a powerful song, what a powerful voice, what meaning this song brings.

I said in my last segment onto the next chapter, how damn appropriate is this song.

I am in my new chapter. I am here. I have found what I had searched for all my life. The ONE that turns my soul inside out with a look. The ONE that melts my heart with a touch. The ONE that is my everything. The ONE that is so beautiful…. To me

This song, says it all.

“Heavens gift to me”
art by Pretty-As-A-Picture
You are so beautiful
To me
You are so beautiful
To me
Can't you see?
You're everything I hoped for
You're everything I need
You are so beautiful
To me
(~whispers hbs~)
I know I often put the words to the songs in, it’s not because I can’t be arsed writing, it’s because sometimes they are extremely powerful to me, or as with this song, powerful words sung by a powerful voice. Joe Cocker has got to be almost one of the best singers with the most powerful voice, I’ve ever heard. His voice makes me listen to every word of every song he sings. He makes me listen. Not many people can lay claim to that. Joe can and so can……
My wish to you folks is that you find the songs, the singers and the writers here, to be as good as I know they are (except me of course, I just write bullshit). ~tez
Until next time and an update on the new chapter ..
YOU ARE SOOOOOO [kaff]
After starting out as an unsuccessful pop singer (working under the name Vance Arnold), Joe Cocker found his niche singing rock and soul in the pubs of England with his superb backing group, the Grease Band. He hit number one in the U.K. in November 1968 with his version of the Beatles "A Little Help from My Friends." His career really took off after he sang that song at the Woodstock festival in August 1969. A second British hit came with a version of Leon Russell's "Delta Lady" in the fall of 1969 (by then, Russell was Cocker's musical director) and both of his albums, With a Little Help from My Friends (April 1969) and Joe Cocker! (November 1969), went gold in America. In 1970, his cover of the Box Tops hit "The Letlter" became his first U.S. Top Ten. Cocker's first peak of success came when Russell organized the "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" tour of 1970, featuring Cocker and over 40 others and resulting in a third gold album and a concert film. Subsequent efforts were less popular, and problems with alcohol (both on-stage and off-) reduced Cocker's once-powerful voice to a croaking rasp. But he returned to the U.S. Top Ten with the romantic ballad "You Are So Beautiful" in 1975 and topped the charts in a duet with Jennifer Warnes on "Up Where We Belong," the theme from the 1982 film An Officer and a Gentleman. He has survived, still charting into the '90s, albeit with less frequency than he did in the '70s and '80s. He also continued to work throughout the new millennium. No Ordinary World was his first release since 1997's Across from Midnight. Respect Yourself appeared in 2002, and the covers album Heart & Soul followed in 2004. The European release Hymn for My Soul, which features cover versions of songs by Stevie Wonder, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, and John Fogerty, was issued on Parlophone in 2007. ~ [Cub Koda & William Ruhlmann, All Music Guide]
Personal life
haroooo
In 1963, Cocker began dating Eileen Webster, also a resident of Sheffield. The couple dated intermittently for the next thirteen years, separating permanently in 1976. In 1978, Cocker moved onto a ranch owned by Jane Fonda in Santa Barbara, California. Pam Baker, a local summer camp director and fan of Cocker's music convinced the actress to rent the house to Cocker. Baker began dating Cocker and they eventually married on 11 October 1987. The couple currently reside on the Mad Dog Ranch in Crawford, Colorado.Cocker is not related to fellow Sheffield-born musician Jarvis Cocker, despite this being a rumour (particularly in Australia, where Jarvis' father Mack Cocker was a radio DJ who allowed listeners to believe he was Cocker's brother). ~ [Source: Wikipedia]
Joe Cocker is ranked 97th/100 by Rolling Stone Magazine "Top 100 Greatest Singers of All Time"
For the Beatles see #489, #587, #894, #947
For Stevie Wonder see #419, #657
For George Harrison see #806
For Bob Dylan see #491, #841, #929
For more Joe Cocker see #453, #633
spot joe?
What does RS think of Joe?
"He brought Ray Charles to the mix as an influence on rock & roll," says Steve Van Zandt. Joe Cocker's voice is an irresistible force that combines a love of American soul music with an undeniable depth of feeling: The Northern English belter supercharged Charles' raw-throated vocals with rock & roll attitude, most famously on his hit cover of the Boxtops' "The Letter" and his monumental Woodstock performance of the Beatles' "With a Little Help From My Friends." The response to that helped push along a wave of blue-eyed-soul acts, including Leon Russell, and Delaney and Bonnie. Cocker would go on to interpret tunes by Randy Newman and Traffic as if they were R&B classics. And once he was done with them, that's what they were. ~ [Source: Rolling Stone]
For Ray Charles see #518
For Randy Newman see #958
Rolling Stone magazine deemed their '360th song of all Time' was "Killing Me Softly With His Song" by Roberta Flack. Roberta Flack have appeared in The Definitive 1000 of All Time @ #376
Other songs with reference to Joe Cocker ~ #381, #397, #404, #428, #456, #502, #518, #522, #590, #622, #631, #676, #785, #790, #827
Rolling Stone Top 500 Songs ranked this song at Number (We do not like cover artists) and the Album ranked at (Even if they were at Woodstock!)
This song has a Definitive 1000 rating of 80.4 out of 108
Search Artist here:1-2-3-A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z

crowbarred.net, greatest songs in the world, best 1000 songs of all time, top 1000 songs of all time, best 1000 songs, alltime 1000 songs, the best songs of all time, worlds best songs, greatest songs of all time, the all time greatest songs, 1000 top songs of all time, best 1000 songs, top 1000 pop songs, best rock songs of all time, 1000 classic rock songs,

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

ur blog is really nice and interesting. I just wanna suggest that u should go for blog advertising & marketing there is a website which is offering very unique features at affordable prices. There are Expert advertising teams who will promote ur blog & affiliate ads through all over the networks. All u have to do is submit your blog plus pay affordable prices and rest leave it to Advertising Team for Promotion & Marketing then see how u enjoy a lots of quality traffic plus good readers to ur blog. Finally I have bookmarked it & share with my friends, great work & happy blogging.

8:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home