Sunday, October 14, 2007

Number 548 - Alanis Morissette


Number 548

Alanis Morissette

"Hand in my Pocket"

(1995)
.
Genre:Singer/Songwriter
Oh man am I glad September is done and buried for another year.
I hate September any year, but this year seemed to take forever to end.
Listening to this song, I was thinking man o man does this sound like me.
You betcha arse it does!
I always seemed to have my hand in my pocket, my heart on my sleeve and my mind elsewhere, never on the task at hand. Some of the words to this song sum's up everything there is to know about me. But, on the other hand, it says nothing.For example:
I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is flicking a cigarette
What it all comes down to…
Is that I haven't got it all figured out just yet
I've got one hand in my pocket
And the other one is flipping people off*
I'm free but I'm focused
I'm green but I'm wise
I'm hard but I'm friendly baby
I'm sad but I'm laughing
I'm brave but I'm chicken shit
I'm sick but I'm pretty baby

What it all boils down to Is that no one's really got it figured out just yet
* I changed the words
As you know I have previously stated that some songs affect some people in a certain way, dredge memories or make you feel a certain way.This song when I hear it makes me feel 'happy' open, above all others. Not sure why.But the only thing I can think of is having my hand in my pocket last month, paying this, paying that, forking out $ for this and that.But I'm happy, I owe no money to anyone. So I suppose these words mean something eh? Until next time, Tez.
It's remarkable that Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill struck a sympathetic chord with millions of listeners, because it's so doggedly, determinedly insular. This, after all, plays like an emotional purging, prompted by a bitter relationship -- and, according to all the lyrical hints, that's likely a record executive who took advantage of a young Alanis. She never disguises her outright rage and disgust, whether it's the vengeful wrath of "You Oughta Know" or asking him "you scan the credits for your name and wonder why it's not there." This is such insider information that it's hard to believe that millions of listeners not just bought it, but embraced it, turning Alanis Morisette into a mid-'90s phenomenon. Perhaps it was the individuality that made it appealing, since its specificity lent it genuineness -- and, even if this is clearly an attempt to embrace the "women in rock" movement in alterna-rock, Morissette's intentions are genuine.

Often, it seems like Glen Ballard's pop inclinations fight against Alanis' exorcisms, as her bitter diary entries are given a pop gloss that gives them entry to the pop charts. What's all the more remarkable is that Alanis isn't a particularly good singer, stretching the limits of pitch and credibility with her octave-skipping caterwauling. At its core, this is the work of an ambitious but sophomoric 19-year-old, once burned by love, but still willing to open her heart a second time. All of this adds up to a record that's surprisingly effective, an utterly fascinating exploration of a young woman's psyche. As slick as the music is, the lyrics are unvarnished and Morissette unflinchingly explores emotions so common, most people would be ashamed to articulate them. This doesn't make Jagged Little Pill great, but it does make it a fascinating record, a phenomenon that's intensely personal. ~ [Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide]
Hand In My Pocket
"Hand in My Pocket" is a song written by Alanis Morissette and Glen Ballard, and produced by Ballard for Morissette's third album Jagged Little Pill (1995). Its protagonist discusses the everyday troubles and worries that she encounters, but focuses on finding ways to stay relaxed and determined. It was released as the album's second single in 1995 (see 1995 in music) and became Morissette's second number-one hit on Billboard's U.S. Modern Rock Tracks chart. "Hand in My Pocket" also received substantial airplay on pop radio, reaching the top five on the Top 40 Mainstream chart, but its success in the United Kingdom was limited. The single's video features Morissette among a homecoming parade and was filmed in black-and-white and slow motion. "Hand in My Pocket" served as the theme song in the unaired pilot episode of the television show Dawson's Creek, but Morissette decided not to have it used as the theme after the show was picked up. In 2005 Morissette released Jagged Little Pill Acoustic, an acoustic version of Jagged Little Pill. "Hand in My Pocket" was its first U.S. single, and its video premiered in July 2005 (see 2005 in music). The song was covered by Rolf Harris on his 1997 album "Can you tell what it is yet?". The song was also parodied by Billy Connolly, keeping the tune & changing the words to make his song "Evil Scotsman". ~ [Source:Wikipedia]
What does Rolling Stone think of Alanis?
A former child television and pop star with two out-of-print releases in her native Canada, 19-year-old Alanis Morissette established herself as a very dif-ferent sort of star with "You Oughta Know," Jagged Little Pill's first single. Backed by Flea and Dave Navarro, Morissette's wail of a woman scorned blends obsession, rage, blunt sexuality, and raw pain into a mob hit of a pop song. It may be the best kiss-off song since "Positively 4th Street." Elsewhere on Pill, Morissette's confessional lyrics are as gawky, awkward, and self-important as their subject, adolescence. "You Oughta Know" is Jagged Little Pill's arresting standout, but the entire album -- from "Ironic," "You Learn," to "Hand in My Pocket" has aged extremely well. [RS From 2004's The New Rolling Stone Album Guide ]
Rolling Stone Top 500 Songs ranked this song at Number (To much sexual angst, man) and the Album ranked at Number 327
This song has a crowbarred rating of 73.7 out of 108 pts
Search Artist here:1-2-3-A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P-Q-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z
By The Year 1955 to 2005:
underlay

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home