Number 634 - David Bowie
- Bowie recently announced that he will be a special guest on a future episode of SpongeBob SquarePants in 2007.
- Bowie was featured in the red carpet scene near the beginning of the Stewie Griffin movie.
- Bowie is featured in a song (named "Bowie") by New Zealand based folk/comedy band, The Flight of the Conchords.
- The band The Brian Jonestown Massacre wrote a song called David Bowie I love you.
- Bowie is referenced in Nina Hagen's song "New York, New York" (1985).
- Bowie is mentioned in The Simpsons episode, "She of Little Faith" where Homer blows up the church. The townsfolk are arguing about where to get the funds for the church reconstruction, and Marge suggests, "Why don't we just write to David Bowie again?" and Rev. Lovejoy responds "God no, that man has done enough for this church already."
- In an episode of Friends Joey sings some of the lyrics from "Space Oddity" to Phoebe whilst driving back from Las Vegas. On another occasion, it is sung by Chandler in front of a camera.
- Bowie makes a guest appearance in the film Zoolander in which he judges an impromptu runway competition.
- Singer Tori Amos released a song entitled, "Not David Bowie", on her 2006 boxset.
- The 2006 British TV series Life On Mars takes its title from the Bowie song of the same name. The song features in the first episode, playing over the scene in which main character Sam Tyler discovers he has been transported back in time to 1973. Another character, Gene Hunt, refers to himself as "the Gene Genie", a reference to Bowie's "The Jean Genie", which appears in the soundtrack of another episode.The spin-off Ashes to Ashes is another take on a David Bowie song of the name song, starring Gene Hunt set in London in 1981.
- In Douglas Adams' novel The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, he appears the following description:
"If you took one David Bowie, and attached another David Bowie onto the shoulders of the other David Bowie, and another two to the arms of the first David Bowie, you would have something that didn't exactly look like John Watson, but those who knew him would find him hauntingly familiar."
- In an episode of The L Word, Angus sings "Changes" to Kit, played by Pam Grier.
- Chicago-based rock band Veruca Salt have a song entitled "With David Bowie" which alludes to a form of teenage obsession with Bowie and his music.
- Metal Gear Solid 3 makes reference to David Bowie. Snake's commanding officer in the Virtuous Mission speaks with a British accent, uses the codename "Major Tom". Snake also iniates communication with Major Tom upon contact with his landing point with the line "Can you hear me Major Tom?"
- The Parliament-Funkadelic song, "P. Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up)" references Bowie ("Then I was down south and I heard some funk with some main ingredients like Doobie Brothers, Blue Magic, David Bowie. It was cool.")
- Indie rock band, Built to Spill, references David Bowie in their song "Distopian Dream Girl", "My stephfather looks just like David Bowie, but he hates David Bowie. I think Bowie's cool, I think 'Lodger' rules, and my stepdad's a fool."
- In the TV show NUMB3RS, when Larry takes off in the rocket, "Moonage Daydream" is playing in the background.
- He has also had a guest appearance in the comedy Extras.
- The Clap Your Hands Say Yeah song, "Over and Over Again (Lost and Found)" references Bowie ("You look like David Bowie, But you've nothing new to show me")
- In the UK sci-fi Comedy Red Dwarf, the four main characters are attempting to escape a ship in a stolen space craft. An operator at Ground Control asks for the pilots' identification. The pilot (being the Cat) replies "Ground control, this is...er..." to which Dave Lister suggests "...Major Tom". The Operator then continues, "Ground Control to Major Tom", the opening lyric to Bowie's first hit song "Space Oddity".
- The band The Blood Brothers made a cover of the song "Under Pressure" in 2006.
For Chic see Number 902
For Iggy Pop see Number 980
For U2 see Number 661
For more U2 visit Mellow Mix Vol 1 Number 129
For Red Hot Chili Peppers see Number 521
David Bowie - China Girl (Video)
Uploaded by manon42
Labels: David Bowie 634